Bunion surgery, or bunionectomy, is a medical procedure designed to correct a bunion or a bump sticking out of a portion of a toe. Dr. Suzanne Levine specializes in bunionectomy in NYC. Consider as the leading podiatrist who has appeared in numerous news outlets and TV shows such as The Doctors and Dr. Oz Show. Dr. Levine preforms bunionectomy by realigning the bone, ligaments, tendons and nerves so big toe can be brought back to its correct position and the bump on the inside of the joint removed. Many bunion surgeries are performed in our foot clinic located in Park Avenue in NYC the same-day basis (no hospital stays) using a local anesthesia.
Symptoms of a Bunion
You should see a podiatrist if your symptoms include toe or foot pain, a visible bump on the joint or you having difficulty wearing shoes.
The most common symptoms of a bunion include:
- Bump on the foot of the big toe
- Swelling or soreness around the joint of the big toe
- Thickened skin at the base of the big toe
- Development of corns or calluses
- Unpleasant foot pain
- Limited movement of the big toe
Causes of Bunions
Bunions typically form when the pressure of weight bearing and walking is unevenly spread across the foot. This causes uneven distribution of joint instability and bunion deformity.
Bunions are one of the most common foot disorders treated by Dr. Suzanne Levine at her Park Ave foot clinic. In fact, bunions are one of the most common disorders treated by most podiatrists across the country. More than half the women in America have bunions. Wearing shoes that do not fit or may be uncomfortable that are tight and narrow may also cause bunions.
Dr. Suzanne Levine specializes in bunionectomy in NYC and may suggest a customized plan for you after your evaluation. Bunionectomy shaves down the big toe bump. Minimally invasive bunion surgery is also available with faster recovery time.
A full bunions surgery recovery will take two months or more. During your recovery it is common to have pain and swelling. This swelling and stiffness may be persistent for several months. Length of time it takes to recover after bunionectomy depends on the severity of the bunion and the specific procedure performed. After the first few days, patients may experience minor pain and able to walk in a cam walker boot.
Prevent Bunions From Forming:
Below are some of the steps that may help prevent the formation of bunions:
- Avoid shoes with a narrow toe box
- Avoid uncomfortable shoes that do not fit
- Wear supportive shoes or get custom orthotics from your podiatrist
- See your podiatrist at first sight of bunions to slow the progression
- Add shoe inserts to help distribute the pressure of walking more evenly
Why Choose Dr. Suzanne Levine for Bunion Surgery in NYC?
Dr. Suzanne Levine is a board certified foot surgeon trained in all areas of foot and ankle surgery. Over the past 20 years, Dr. Suzanne Levine has authored multiple books, revolutionized podiatric surgery and appeared on The Doctors and Dr. Oz Show.
- Center for Specialty Care, -present
- Lenox Hill Hospital, 2008-present
- International Aesthetic Foot Society, Vice President and Co-Founder, 2005-present
- New York Presbyterian Hospital, Professional Associate of Podiatric Medicine, 1997-present
- Manhattan Eye, Ear and Throat Hospital, Podiatrist, 1998-present
Dr. Levine has helped thousands of NYC patients throughout her career with bunion surgery.
Schedule your bunionectomy (bunion surgery) consultation today in NYC. Are your bunions on your feet causing you pain and making it difficult to walk or wear shoes? Dr. Suzanne Levine is an expert at treating and diagnosing a variety of foot problems. Schedule an appointment at her convenient NYC foot clinic located at 885 Park Avenue and stop suffering with pain and discomfort. Call today at (212) 535-0229 to speak with a Patient Advisor or fill out the contact form to receive more information.